Prayers...

In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.



Monday, April 11, 2011

Quick! a post before dinner

okay, so this will be quick. 

Want to get last week's 3 a.m. insanity off the blogroll, but I have to make something for dinner.  Soon.

This weekend, John took the boys camping in Sedona, only an hour away from Phoenix.  It snowed! In April! It hailed! It was cold!  John said they sat in the tent, during the day for six hours straight.  And they loved it.  They pretended they were going to climb Mt. Everest and were camping out at basecamp.  They played cards, watched movies, read books, told stories. 



This is the picture he texted me Saturday morning, to which I replied, "Come home!"
His phone battery conveniently died, just then.


This was supposed to be the spring boyscout camping event.  30 families had intended to come.   The first night (probably after reading the weather report), there were five.  The next morning, four drove away.  Yup, John stayed.  Later that day,  two more tents arrived.  John and the boys were the only ones to make it through the entire weekend.  John was very proud. 

(The laundry pile they brought home was ridiculous.  I will be washing these smelly things for the rest of the week!)

Andrew and I stayed home.  For two very good reasons (well, more, but here are two): 1.  I hate to be wet and cold (that is why I live in Arizona).  2. Six hours straight in a tent (I might prefer wet and cold).

Andrew and I were very happy at home watching movies, eating popcorn,  taking bubblebaths and staying warm.  I even put on my swimsuit and took the bubblebaths with him.

On Sunday, the boys came home and we had tacos and played Tug-o-War with some friends from our church.  Fun!  My team lost, and my back may be ruined for the next month, but I don't know, the laughs may have been worth it. When was the last time you played Tug-o-War? Probably too long ago. :)

Okay, dinner time!

9 comments:

  1. haha i'm with you and Andrew! do not like wet and cold and i even like camping less then that!

    But Yep thumbs up for the boys!

    Thanks
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! But it sounds like they had a blast. I love camping, just not the wet and cold kind. Hey, do you know Chrissy http://chrissygardner.blogspot.com ? She posted about Sedona not too long ago. You guys must live near each other. She's awesome, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I have great memories from snow camping in BC. Some of the best camping MUST be done when it's cold enough to really get some use out of that campfire. And the whole adventure-survival thing rocks. But it's good to have lazy bubble-bath weekends, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been camping once - and that once was when it snowed/hailed/and rained! That was the longest night of my life :) Glad they enjoyed themselves!! But I think you and Andrew got the better end of the deal - well, aside from the dirty laundry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy!!! I love camping, but not in the snow!

    I'm glad you and Andrew had such fun at home! Bubble baths and bathing suits!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had heard about the snow in AZ. I'm glad your boys got to play in it, but wow! they sure did stick it out. I'm not sure I'd want to camp in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those camping pics are amazing - well done John and boys.
    My first ever camp out with the girls was in the back garden in the middle of the hugest electrical storm ever. We have been camping loads since then, but the storm is the time they remember (and loved the most).
    Bet the boys talk about their camping trip in the snow for years...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! My husband makes me go camping once a year. And the only thing that gets me through is a bag of Oreos and the promise of s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That made for a memorable campout, I'm sure!!! Good for them for toughing it out- wow.

    I laughed when I read the laundry comment you wrote, Julie. We don't know what this baby is going to be yet, but I'm sure especially if it is a boy, my laundry pile will grown by leaps and bounds as I will then be outnumbered ;) No worries- I will love every second of it just as you do.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...