In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.

Andrew's journey

Andrew, age 2 1/2.  April 8th, 2010.  One week before the horror.

On April 17th, 2010, after spending my morning running in the Pat Tillman race on the campus of ASU, the strange appearance of Andrew's eye (a slight bulging), which I had noticed for a few days, started to worry me.  Coincidentally, we spent the late afternoon and early evening with my friend who happens to be a neurologist.  I asked her to look at his eye, and she was concerned.  We left our dinner at the Olive Garden and went to the ER.

After a CT scan, we stood there staring at a the black and white image of a tumor which had grown behind Andrew's eye orbit.  The nightmare began.  That Tuesday, a neurosurgeon successfully removed the tumor. 

Andrew saying "cheese."
The day we got his diagnosis
He was wrapped in bandages for almost a week, but recovered quite quickly.

We found out it was aggressive cancer which would just grow back if not killed by chemotherapy and radiation.  I will not name the cancer, for emotional reasons.  It feels like uttering the name of a demon.  I don't want to give it any recognition.

So our days and nights in the hospital began. The agony of watching my son suffer began. 

In July and August we spent 7 weeks in Houston, TX for consultation and radiation at MD Anderson.

Andrew receiving radiation at MD Anderson
The chemo routine was originally very difficult on Andrew's body.  He was in a lot of pain and non-stop painkillers.  Thankfully, his little body has adjusted.  He now typically does quite well with the chemo, but his blood is taking more of a beating.  And yet Andrew has continued on. He is coping. He is thriving. He is still loving life and happy. He is alive.

It is still hard for me to believe.  The last four months have felt like four years.  I still cannot fully get my mind around it.  How did this happen to my sweet boy?

Update: October 13, 2010

We go in to the hospital tomorrow for round 11 out of 14 total chemos.  We have not stayed overnight in the hospital for more than three months.  Considering that we spent almost every weekend in the hospital for the first few months, I consider it pretty close to a miracle.  Please pray that every last cancer cell is obliterated by these last few chemos.  Thank you!

On December 11, 2010 he completed his last round of chemo.
On December 13, 2010 he was back in the hospital with a life-threatening bacterial infection in his blood.
On January 3, 2011, he had several scans.  All of which came back negative and clear!!

He received his next set of scans in April 2011--clear!!