Prayers...

In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.



Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bye Bye Ursula, Hello Private Room


(no laughing at my horrific photo shop, but you get the idea...
well you can laugh, at least I can't hear you  :)

Well, thanks to my friend,who has been reading my blog, and who is also a pediatric oncology nurse, I have said goodbye to Ursula!

I have also said goodbye to a shared room, sad vomiting baby roommates :(, and late night visits to the ER (well, hopefully). I have switched hospitals! (and nurses!). They have a different policy for fevers, so I will likely be admitted right to the oncology floor.   It is a little bit farther away, but only about 10 minutes.  I had originally considered it, but they weren't going to allow for the outpatient chemo, so I gave up on the idea.  But they are willing to go for it!  So I decided to make the switch.

 I thought it would be easy, and I am happy, but I was so stressed out about the decision, along with everything else, that I pretty much cried all day yesterday.  I had to wait many hours yesterday for Andrew's blood transfusion, and every time anyone asked me a question, I started tearing up.  I will miss my doctor.  He doesn't work out of this hosptial and that is one of the big down sides.  

But...I feel like I can communicate with my nurse (yay!).  Everyone seems to be nicer.  (Maybe they are not quite as stressed out because of the slower pace).  It is a brand new hospital, and the rooms are awesome. Since I am going to be spending so much of the year there, I decided I needed to do it for my sanity.   Big screen TVs, refrigerators in each room, and get this....I get to use the bathroom...IN MY ROOM!!  Can you believe it? 

And, on another sweet, but unrelated note, I keep finding my boys sleeping in the same bed each night.  One night I actually started freaking out thinking about Elizabeth Smart and home kidnappings when I couldn't find them anywhere.  I checked their beds, under their beds, and every room in the house.  Finally, I checked Andrew's room (they never go in there).  There they were.  All three boys, books, stuffed animals, and 20 blankies stuffed into one firetruck toddler bed:


Last night, Andrew returned the favor and crawled into bed with Aaron:


And we made it through the week without any fevers. 

Hooray for the good stuff.

20 comments:

  1. HOORAY! Love the three-in-a-bed photo. Wishing you a happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you: difficult but necessary change.

    LOVE the boys all snuggled together. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness those boys are too sweet!
    I'm so happy that you've switched hospitals!! I'm sorry you have to leave a great doctor, but it sounds like the trade-off is WELL worth it! I'd say getting a private room is worth just about anything!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ding dong the witch is gone!!

    I can only imagine how difficult it was to make such a huge decision, but the new hospital sounds so much nicer. The refrigerator and private bathroom are such huge bonuses!

    I love the pic of all the boys in the little bed. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet, sweet pictures of the boys cuddling!
    I'm so glad you got a new nurse! That's awesome!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures of your beautiful boys all in a heap, bought tears to my eyes.
    So precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, I'm so happy for you. Of course you'd be willing to drive an extra 10 min for all that!!! Praise God that this has all worked out...

    I love the pictures of the boys cuddling and sleeping together. How sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO SO SO happy for you guys. Sounds like the best thing for all. YEAH!
    And the boys sleeping together? Melts my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, I am so happy for you and Andrew. I cried reading this...your little guys are too sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new hospital sounds great and what sweet pictures of the boys! You are always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are so fun! You have great boys.
    I'm really glad to hear you've got the nurse thing figured out. I hope it works out in this hospital for you guys. I'm really happy for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is precious! I'm so glad you've found something with a bathroom included.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those three brothers all snuggling together is one of the sweetest things I've seen.

    I think you've made the right decision in switching hospitals, Julie. You have to do whatever you need to get Andrew thru this year. Love and prayers are still headed your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, what beautiful photos. they make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am only just NOW catching up on the last few days of blogging and I almost squeeled with excitement... mostly over you being able to PEE IN YOUR OWN ROOM!! (haha okay, that sounds a little strange!) I think this will definitely be a sanity saver and you NEED that at this point in the game.

    Those pictures are spectacular!! THAT'S what memories are made of right!?

    *Hugs* thinking of you all the time lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see Clifford and Mickey joined the slumber party, too. So, so sweet. Also: Goodbye, Ursula, and good riddance! =>

    ReplyDelete
  17. your boys are precious! such sweet pics - praying the change goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. GOODBYE URSULA!!!!!!!

    Your boys are so very sweet to all share the same bed together. In need of something comforting I'm sure. And I adore it. Just adore it. As I'm sure you do, too.

    Always in my prayers Julie. Not lying about that. I'm glad things are starting to look up for you guys. (I hate sharing rooms, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh those are sweet sweet boys - I love that picture! You and your family are in my prayers!!!!!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy for you. Nothing beats a bathroom you can use! Glad to hear the fever free and I love the boys-sleeping-like-puppies photos.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...