Prayers...

In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.



Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Coffee at the End of the Tunnel


Happy Tuesday

How are you? 
I'm so glad you joined me for coffee today! 
I actually have some brewing this week.
I am in a much better mood than last Tuesday
AND
I haven't given the 5-year-olds on Sammy's playground a "talking to." 
Always a plus! 

If we were actually meeting for coffee this morning 
I might proudly announce that I remembered picture day! 
 It may be the first time since my children have attended school that I remembered
before driving into the school parking lot.  
Can you believe it?
Sammy is wearing a "solid color" and
carrying a completed order form in his backpack. 
 Progress.


Maybe it's just denial,
or maybe I can see light at the end of the tunnel,

or maybe it's just that life is starting to feel a little more normal,
and the heat of the summer is finally fading,
but I feel like my burden is lighter these days. 
I am guessing you might even sense that,
 if we were actually sipping our coffee together today.

I might also tell you that I am a proud Mama of a first grader
who is doing well in his class and behaving himself. 
Whew
Parent/teacher conference today. 
All is well.

I might ask about your parent/teacher conferences.
Have you had one this year?
How did it go?
They always make me nervous.

I might also tell you that
we spent last weekend in the hospital (for chemo),
and Andrew found some interesting things to do with his bald head:

Yup.  That's some PB& J up there.

Plates are for sissies.

He also found that his ears make excellent crayon holders.

And as I rambled on about Andrew's body decoration,
I might notice your stomach grumbling,
and admit that I was very close
to making a pumpkin pie 
yesterday,
but let my pre-schooler talk me out of it.
We made a puzzle instead.
You and I would both be regretting that decision
right about now
It was a Martha Stewart pumpkin pie
with real whipped cream on top.
Sorry :(.

But I do have a package of Duncan Hines Blueberry Struesel muffins.
They're from a box, but I love them.
I could probably whip some together while we chatted.

I might tell you that John and I took the boys hiking on Saturday for the
first time in months.


The weather was cool, and we weren't in the hospital!
Andrew was so excited to make it to the top!

with a little help from John.

So
I had a busy, stressful, happy, adventurous week
full of challenges
and triumphs
and ups and downs.
But overall, it was a good one.

I am so grateful
for the many blessings
and all of the love that
I get to give and experience.

I hope you had a week like that too.

Thanks for dropping by!
(Next time, I promise.
Pumpkin pie for sure.)


join me for coffee!.jpg>




14 comments:

  1. It is finally cooling off in your part of the world. Um jealous... ugh. lol! Can you tell because the palm trees need a trimmin? ha ha... I kill myself. Ok maybe not so funny. But I love the pics and plates are for wimps. Yay on the progress report. I have a parent teacher meeting on Friday. So far so good though. I'm in constant contact with beans teacher due to his speech therapy.

    Oh and the piece of pie... I didn't miss it! I enjoyed coming over for coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are seeing the light at the end there. (I also love the pictorial representation. Very cool.)

    Alita can be all virtuous eating her apple and not missing the pumpkin pie, but I wanted some pie and I am sorely disappointed! Yeah, I know I could make my own, but then I'd eat it all and I need someone to share it with because no one in my family likes pumpkin pie!

    The hike sounds like a great idea. I wonder if I can carve out some time to take my family hiking. We seem to have some busy weekends coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's the little sips of faith and courage that get us from moment to moment. We had picture day today, I had to check my photo files early this morning to make sure my son didn't wear the same shirt as last year as he only owns one or two "fancy" ones. Here's wishing you a peaceful week ahead full of pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy tuesday! love the picture of andrew getting a ride to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a treat to stop by for coffee today and to hear so much good news - even if pumpkin pie wasn't a part of it. I will take you up on one of those muffins, though. :)

    Hope the week ahead is full of clear, blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it humorous when parents talk about being nervous about parent/teacher conferences, because when I used to teach, *I* would be nervous as the teacher! So, keep that in mind. :)

    So glad you all had a great week. Love that picture of Andrew at the top!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that life is starting to feel more normal for you!

    No Parent Teacher Interviews here yet, but I make a point of chatting with the teacher now and then so I won't be nervous when they do come! lol... I've been nervous on both sides before!

    How great that you were able to go for a hike! Andrew looks so proud to be at the top.

    PS: love the "plate"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm Pie! Can't wait!!

    I love to hear that you are feeling that light at the end of the tunnel. :)

    We had our Parent Teacher conferences last week and they always make me nervous too. I was so worried the teachers were going to tell me how they misbehave because I can't give them all the time they deserve right now but alas they are both doing fantastically well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "triumphant" photo reaching the top ~ it must have been lovely for you all to be out in the fresh air! P.s ~ Parent/teacher meetings ALWAYS make me feel like I'm the student :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tunnel photo... so perfect!
    (and the pb&j one... )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear that things are looking (and feeling) up a bit for you! That's so great when it happens, at least, that's what I've heard. ;)

    Love the pics of the hike. The boys seem to be really enjoying the fall. (Do you guys even get fall there? Just a bit jealous. Never mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tunnel pic too. Glad you got to go on the hike, and unwind a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm enjoying a bite of my virtual blueberry muffin (streusel!) and smiling at that sweet picture of Andrew on his daddy's shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the coffee, Julie. Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal and that the weight on you is slowly being lifted.

    P.S. don't worry, next time I'll bring the pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...