Prayers...

In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.



Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baby girls

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15636231

An excerpt from the March 4, 2010 edition of The Economist (see link above):  "XINRAN XUE, a Chinese writer, describes visiting a peasant family in the Yimeng area of Shandong province. The wife was giving birth. “We had scarcely sat down in the kitchen”, she writes (see article), “when we heard a moan of pain from the bedroom next door…The cries from the inner room grew louder—and abruptly stopped. There was a low sob, and then a man’s gruff voice said accusingly: ‘Useless thing!’


“Suddenly, I thought I heard a slight movement in the slops pail behind me,” Miss Xinran remembers. “To my absolute horror, I saw a tiny foot poking out of the pail. The midwife must have dropped that tiny baby alive into the slops pail! I nearly threw myself at it, but the two policemen [who had accompanied me] held my shoulders in a firm grip. ‘Don’t move, you can’t save it, it’s too late.’


“‘But that’s...murder...and you’re the police!’ The little foot was still now. The policemen held on to me for a few more minutes. ‘Doing a baby girl is not a big thing around here,’ [an] older woman said comfortingly. ‘That’s a living child,’ I said in a shaking voice, pointing at the slops pail. ‘It’s not a child,’ she corrected me. ‘It’s a girl baby, and we can’t keep it. Around these parts, you can’t get by without a son. Girl babies don’t count.’”

I knew there was a one child per family law in parts of Asia, but I didn't fully consider the consequences of that rule.  I also knew that cultural values and societal pressures in Asia and other parts of the world make having a son more favorable.  But I never considered the horrifying actions that people are willing to take in order to have a son. 

From now on, when I see a sweet Asian girl in a non-Asian family, I will smile throughout my whole being. She made it.

I also have a new consciousness for the sad mothers, who after giving birth, are forced to give up their precious baby girl(s). Perhaps several times.  The lucky ones have the opportunity to give their daughters up for adoption.  Others watch while their daughters are strangled with the umbilical cord, or thrown into chamber pots.

What a tragically sad this world can be, and often more so for the females who live within it.  We are so fortunate to live where we do, when we do.

Someday I may need to adopt a daughter...

1 comment:

  1. This broke my heart, and am near tears. I cannot imagine... thinking of my baby girl sleeping in her bedroom right now.
    Adoption has been weighing heavily on my heart these days. Hopefully one day.

    (Your boys are absolutely adorable!!)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts...