I love my kids. Can't say it enough. I am so privileged to be able to stay home with them and watch them grow and develop. I wouldn't change it for the world. However, I find that it can be quite easy to lose myself in all of the caretaking. If you can relate, please scroll down.
You know you need more "me" space when:
1. You become overly protective of your coloring pages. You have picked the color YOU would like for Dora's socks, and orange scribbling was NOT what you had in mind.
2. You wake up at night with your arms wrapped around your head, and your legs curled to your stomach in the fetal position. This is to allow for the two dogs sleeping horizontally at your feet, and the two not-so-little boys on either side of you (who crawled in when you weren't looking). This is in addition to your husband who is taking up the other half of the bed. Half asleep, but dreadfully uncomfortable, YOU move to the boys room, and crawl into a twin bed (which is soaked in the middle and might be the reason one boy is in YOUR bed). You position yourself around the "wetness", hope it is "just" water, and fall quickly asleep. Ahh...space.
3. You find the thought of Jury Duty relaxing. Is there somewhere to sign up for that?
4. You go to doctor and dentist appointments early, so that you can read your book and sit quietly. Talking with the doctor may be the only adult socializing that you do for the day, so, much to the hurried doctor's chagrin, you try to make it interesting. You find yourself walking extraordinarily s l o w l y to and from your car.
5. You go out to dinner with friends and offer everyone a wet-wipe after the meal.
6. The last time your Facebook status was non-child-related was...well, that has never happened.
7. You do not make phone calls during the day. You have learned that as soon as you pick up the phone, the whole household will start screaming and barking. If you try to sneak a quick one during naptime, you will be sorry.
8. You have your own favorite episodes of "Max & Ruby" and "Dora the Explorer" ...and your least favorites too.
9. You do not own any white or pale-colored pants. Well, at least not anymore.
10. You feel the urge to start making home-made signs for your door: "Keep Out. No one under 5' allowed." Too bad they can't read.
11. You breathe a sigh of relief at bedtime, and hope that the next few hours of quiet will give you energy to make it through the whole next day of crazy. :)
For more "Wordful Wednesdays" check this out: