In April, 2010, when Andrew was 2 1/2, a tumor was discovered behind his eye. The tumor was removed, but it was found to be an aggressive cancer. He endured seven months of chemo and six weeks radiation. In December of 2010, the day after his last treatment, he was rushed to the ER with an almost fatal bacterial infection. He survived.

He is now seven-years-old!! I don't visit here much, because during the ordeal, this is where I dumped everything--my rage, my fear, my sadness, my ugly, my hope, my everything. But I want all of you who supported and prayed for us to hear his updates. You helped me survive, and I am deeply thankful. Every once in awhile, I will check in to let you know how he's doing. Please continue to pray that cancer will never return to his body. Thank you.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Chemo Schmemo...well, at least for the first two days

Okay, so this first round of chemo is going very well... 
I suppose I should knock on wood. 
But considering that the night before we came to the hospital I woke up every half an hour due to anxiety, I am feeling relieved. 

I am happy to report that Andrew is sitting here singing the lyrics to Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law" just like he did before he started chemo (I blame his Dad). 
He is still walking around (followed by me and his series of bags and poles) pretending to be a dinosaur and growling at doctors. 
He is taking his aggression out on his blood pressure cuff, by hitting it periodically.
He hides his footband under his pants so he doesn't have to look at it. 
 Toddler form of denial I suppose.
  Everywhere we go, he tells people that he's "gonna get that monster." 
He is trying to convince himself that the doctors and nurses are the good guys...
but he's a little confused about their "caring" methods. 
He still seems to have an appetite.  He ate his peanut butter and jelly sandwich and several gummy hamburgers (compliments of grandma).

Meanwhile, John and I are growing accustomed to living in a 8x10 rectangle, separated from another family by rainbow colored curtains decorated with suns and circles.
  John has taken up a new hobby of drawing cartoon characters with dry-erase markers on the hospital white board.
 I am slowly coming out of my shock-induced coma. 

 It is strange to look out the window and see cars on the highway, going back and forth between home and work, living their normal lives.

Breathing a sigh of relief..for today. 
Tomorrow night we go home again.
Hooray for home!


  1. Wow... that post made it all so very real.
    I'm glad that chemo is going well so far. I hope that his little toddler self just sails right through all this.
    Always thinking and praying for you and Andrew.

  2. It'll be so good when you can get home! Keep thinking of your brave family, and sending prayers your way.

  3. I'm glad the day wasn't too, too bad. And he IS going to get that monster!
    You go Andrew!!

  4. Thank goodness for gummy hamburgers and Judas Priest. And having your family home for Mother's Day. So happy to hear it's going well! =>

  5. Thank you for the update. I'm so happy to hear it's going so well, and that you leave for home tomorrow. xxx

  6. Thinking of you all, Julie. I am glad to hear that Andrew is doing so well and it's really nice to hear that I may come out of this "just going through the motions" feeling I am having. XOXOXO

  7. Go get that monster !
    I'm knocking on wood for you and am sending positive thoughts your way.

  8. The visual of that precious little blonde boy trotting along with his 'bags and poles' behind him is both heroic and heartbreaking. I hope he continues to handle it so well. Best wishes to your entire family.

  9. I'm sorry you had such a rough sleep the night before going to the hospital.

    Andrew sounds amazing! I can see how that would be tough for him to see the drs and nurses as good guys... It must be a relief to be through these couple of days and going home again.

  10. Sounds like things are moving along wonderfully so far. I will continue to keep your little boy in my prayers! Stay strong!

  11. Ohhh, chemo bites! As I went through it I often thought of the children having to do it and felt so sad for them. It is no fun! And I suffered thrush a lot, the mouth ickies were the pits!


Your thoughts...